Transforming the Way the World Travels
Responsible tourism aims to minimize tourism's
negative impacts on the environment and maximize the positive contributions
tourism can make to local communities. If left unchecked, large-scale tourism
development can damage ecosystems, pollute environments and exploit local
communities. But traveling responsibly is not about halting development or
staying home. It is about managing travel and destinations in an
environmentally and culturally responsible way and designing tourism
programs and individual trips carefully, to provide travelers with the
experience they seek, while leaving a positive footprint on their destination.
Learn more about us
- June 2019: CREST issues a response to the announcement of new restrictions on U.S. travel to Cuba.
- April 2019: Save the date for CREST's third annual World Tourism Day Forum! This year's forum will take place on September 27 in Washington, DC and will focus on "Impact Tourism: Giving Time, Talent, & Treasure.
- March 2019: Check out our spring 2019 newsletter for the latest updates from CREST.
- March 2019: CREST releases a special 15-year anniversary edition of our annual Milestones report.
- February 2019: After more than 15 years of visionary leadership, CREST's founding Executive Director, Martha Honey, has announced her plans to retire in mid to late 2019. Read our statement about this time of transition and promise for CREST.
- October 2018: CREST releases
The Case for Responsible Travel: Trends & Statistics 2018, which includes an in-depth look at the complex issue of overtourism and the role of responsible travel in developing solutions.