Transforming the Way the World Travels
Responsible tourism aims to minimize tourism's
negative impacts on the environment and maximize the positive contributions
tourism can make to local communities. If left unchecked, large-scale tourism
development can damage ecosystems, pollute environments and exploit local
communities. But traveling responsibly is not about halting development or
staying home. It is about managing travel and destinations in an
environmentally and culturally responsible way and designing tourism
programs and individual trips carefully, to provide travelers with the
experience they seek, while leaving a positive footprint on their destination.
Learn more about us
- August 2019: CREST is pleased to annouce the appointment of Dr. Gregory A. Miller as our new Executive Director. He assumes leadership from CREST Co-Founder Dr. Martha Honey, who is retiring as Executive Director after 16 years. View our statement to learn about Miller's impressive background.
- July 2019: CREST's newest study, Cruise Tourism in the Caribbean: Selling Sunshine, is now available! Order your copy today.
- June 2019: Tickets are on sale for our third annual World Tourism Day Forum! Join us on September 27 at the United States Institute of Peace in Washington, DC for a day-long event focused on "Impact Tourism: Giving Time, Talent, & Treasure."
- June 2019: Check out our summer 2019 newsletter for the latest updates from CREST.
- March 2019: CREST releases a special 15-year anniversary edition of our annual Milestones report.
- October 2018: CREST releases
The Case for Responsible Travel: Trends & Statistics 2018, which includes an in-depth look at the complex issue of overtourism and the role of responsible travel in developing solutions.