Transforming the Way the World Travels
Responsible tourism aims to minimize tourism's
negative impacts on the environment and maximize the positive contributions
tourism can make to local communities. If left unchecked, large-scale tourism
development can damage ecosystems, pollute environments and exploit local
communities. But traveling responsibly is not about halting development or
staying home. It is about managing travel and destinations in an
environmentally and culturally responsible way and designing tourism
programs and individual trips carefully, to provide travelers with the
experience they seek, while leaving a positive footprint on their destination.
Learn more about us
- July 2019: CREST's newest study, Cruise Tourism in the Caribbean: Selling Sunshine, is now available! Order your copy today.
- June 2019: Tickets are on sale now for our third annual World Tourism Day Forum! Join us on September 27 at the United States Institute of Peace in Washington, DC for a day-long event focused on "Impact Tourism: Giving Time, Talent, & Treasure."
- June 2019: Check out our summer 2019 newsletter for the latest updates from CREST.
- March 2019: CREST releases a special 15-year anniversary edition of our annual Milestones report.
- February 2019: After more than 15 years of visionary leadership, CREST's founding Executive Director, Martha Honey, has announced her plans to retire in mid to late 2019. Read our statement about this time of transition and promise for CREST.
- October 2018: CREST releases
The Case for Responsible Travel: Trends & Statistics 2018, which includes an in-depth look at the complex issue of overtourism and the role of responsible travel in developing solutions.