Transforming the Way the World Travels
Responsible tourism aims to minimize tourism's
negative impacts on the environment and maximize the positive contributions
tourism can make to local communities. If left unchecked, large-scale tourism
development can damage ecosystems, pollute environments and exploit local
communities. But traveling responsibly is not about halting development or
staying home. It is about managing travel and destinations in an
environmentally and culturally responsible way and designing tourism
programs and individual trips carefully, to provide travelers with the
experience they seek, while leaving a positive footprint on their destination.
Learn more about us
- September 2020: CREST releases The Case for Responsible Travel: Trends & Statistics 2020. The latest edition of our annual study includes a special focus on lessons from COVID-19 for tourism in a changing climate.
- July 2020: Read the latest updates from CREST in our Summer Newsletter.
- July 2020: CREST's new Impact Tourism Handbook shares inspiring and practical case studies from businesses, NGOs, and destinations making strategic contributions of time, talent, and treasure to local environmental and social projects.
- June 2020: CREST has joined six global nonprofit organizations to form the Future of Tourism Coalition. Learn more and join the movement for tourism's new future at FutureofTourism.org.
- April 2020: CREST releases a new Spanish-language resource on small-scale tourism, sharing perspectives from Cuba and Costa Rica.
- April 2020: CREST launches the Responsible Recovery Fund to support our response to the COVID-19 crisis.
- March 2020: CREST releases our first-ever Impact Report, which shares our work to advance responsible travel in 2019.