Communications & Outreach Manager - Call for Applications
The Center for Responsible Travel (CREST) is seeking a dynamic, knowledgeable, and experienced communications professional committed to responsible travel to join our team. The Communications and Outreach Manager will have primary responsibilities within communications and marketing, helping to tell CREST’s story to further enhance brand value, spread the word about CREST's work, generate distribution and sales of current CREST products (such as books, films, reports, Charter Club trips, and conferences), and develop creative fundraising campaigns. CREST is primarily an academic and industry-facing organization, and therefore outreach will be targeted at domestic and international tourism businesses, government agencies, development organizations, civil organizations, academia, and media. Secondary responsibilities will be in support of fundraising, through generating content for proposals and major projects, conferences, or other activities.
This position is based in Washington, DC, involves occasional travel, and is an excellent opportunity for a candidate looking to contribute to a non-profit organization committed to the sustainable development and management of tourism.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Create promotional materials, press releases, eBlasts, and web-content to share CREST's ever-evolving story and project portfolio
- Manage and grow CREST social media platforms, including providing critical assessment of which platforms are priorities for CREST to use
- Within the first six months, develop a Marketing & Communications Strategy and Annual Plan which will serve as a roadmap to guide CREST’s marketing and communications efforts
- Manage content updates for the CREST website(s)
- Develop and execute marketing campaigns for CREST’s books, e-books, films, and other products
- Oversee writing, production, and distribution of CREST’s quarterly e-newsletter
- Maintain and grow CREST’s media list
- Create and update as necessary CREST’s online press packet and media resources
- Manage CREST contact database and coordinate appropriate touch points for target audiences
- Field press inquiries and coordinate interviews with appropriate staff member(s)
- Represent and speak on behalf of CREST at industry events
- Collaborate with CREST team to coordinate industry-leading educational conferences and high-level fundraising events
- Collaborate with CREST team to effectively promote quarterly travel auctions
- Manage the media work, web page, and internal communications for CREST’s Cuba advocacy network
- Communicate with CREST partners as needed to realize collaborative projects
Secondary responsibilities will include:
- Generate and execute creative revenue generating opportunities, such as end-of-year donor outreach, webinars, and crowd funding campaigns
- Produce, as requested, content for grant and sponsorship proposals
- Other activities as needed, assigned by the CREST Executive Director, to support CREST's mission, goals, and meet the annual budget
- 5+ years' experience in communications and outreach
- Undergraduate degree with relevant major, course work, and study abroad or field experience
- Passion for and knowledge of responsible travel industry
- Excellent written (both academic and popular/journalistic) and spoken English
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and advanced technical aptitude for learning web-based tools
- Working knowledge and effective use of various social media communications platforms
- Ability to work as part of small team and to work independently
- Strong sense of initiative
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment, and to meet deadlines
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Creative, flexible, and organized
- Substantive working experience with non-profits
- Advanced study of or fluency in Spanish
- Experience working with media or as journalist
- Advanced degree
- Previous experience working with environmental, social impact, or tourism-related organizations
- Competency in basic web development
- Competency in basic layout & design
- Competency in social revenue tools such as crowd funding and web-based campaigns, or willingness to learn
- Published articles, reports, studies, etc.
- Considerable travel experience and/or time living abroad
Salary commensurate with experience. Start date on or before July 16.
The Communications Manager will work under the supervision of CREST’s Executive Director and will work closely with CREST’s Managing Director.
Interested candidates should submit the following:
- Cover letter outlining reasons for interest in the position and relevant skills and qualifications
- Two (2) writing samples, demonstrating academic and popular writing styles, respectively
- Samples of any relevant documents or publications you have created or participated in creating. Please indicate your role in producing each document.
- Three (3) references including at least one who has supervised your work. Please include name, position, organizational affiliation, contact information, and your relationship to each reference.
Candidates are strongly urged to review additional information about CREST, available here, as well as the CREST website.
Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm EST on Wednesday, May 23. Please direct questions to CREST managing director, Samantha Bray, email@example.com.
CREST is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.