Communications Manager - Call for Applications
The Center for Responsible Travel (CREST) is seeking a dynamic, knowledgeable, and experienced communications professional committed to responsible travel to join our team. The Communications Manager will have primary responsibilities within communications, programs, and fundraising, helping to tell CREST’s story to further enhance brand value and develop creative fundraising campaigns. CREST is primarily an academic and industry-facing organization, therefore the role will require outreach targeted at domestic and international non-profits, tourism businesses, government agencies, development organizations, civil organizations, academia, and media. Secondary responsibilities will be in support of fundraising, through generating content for proposals and major projects, conferences, or other activities.
CREST maintains its office in Washington, DC, but work location for this position is flexible within the USA (prior approval to work in the US required), involves occasional travel, and is an excellent opportunity to contribute to a non-profit organization committed to responsible travel and sustainable tourism. This position reports to the CREST Executive Director and supervises communications intern(s) and communications contractors, as needed.
- Collaborate with the CREST Executive Director on strategic planning for the organization as it relates to overall communications and brand strategy.
- Develop and execute annual goals for the organization’s external communications and marketing priorities.
- Lead CREST communications priorities in the global Future of Tourism Coalition, of which CREST is a founding member.
- Create promotion plans and CREST annual impact report, collateral materials, press releases, eBlasts, newsletters, and web content to share CREST's ever-evolving story and project portfolio.
- Serve as CREST’s media manager, which includes fielding press inquiries, coordinating interviews with appropriate staff member(s), conducting strategic media outreach, and liaising with CREST’s pro bono media PR firm.
- Manage CREST contact database and coordinate appropriate touch points for target audiences.
- Manage and optimize CREST website and all CREST social media platforms.
- Supervise CREST’s communications interns and service contractors.
- Support the CREST Executive Director to manage CREST’s policy advocacy efforts and elevate CREST’s message of the importance of U.S. travel to Cuba.
- Collaborate with CREST team to add value to Academic Affiliates and Impact Tourism programs.
- Communicate with CREST partners as needed to realize collaborative projects.
- Provide communications support and subject area expertise for CREST consultancies and field projects, as appropriate.
- Collaborate with CREST team to coordinate industry-leading educational conferences and high-level events.
- Manage CREST’s end-of-year donor outreach and digital fundraising campaigns and meet budget targets.
- Collaborate with CREST Managing Director to coordinate CREST quarterly fundraising auctions by leading auction promotion efforts and crafting auction communications materials.
- Expand and communicate value proposition for CREST auction donors and event funders.
- Generate content for grant and sponsorship proposals.
- 5+ years' experience in communications
- Undergraduate degree with relevant major, course work, and study abroad or field experience
- Passion for and knowledge of responsible travel industry
- Excellent written (both academic and popular/journalistic) and spoken English
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and advanced technical aptitude for learning web-based tools
- Working knowledge and effective use of various social media communications platforms, website management (Dreamweaver a plus)
- Strong sense of initiative, ability to work as part of small team and to work independently
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment, and to meet deadlines
- Creative, flexible, and organized
- Substantive working experience with non-profits
- Advanced degree in communications, marketing, international development, tourism, or related field
- Advanced study of or fluency in Spanish
- Experience working with media or as a journalist
- Previous experience working with environmental, social impact, or tourism-related organizations
- Competency in basic web development
- Competency in basic layout & design
- Competency in social revenue tools such as crowd funding and web-based campaigns, or willingness to learn
- Published articles, reports, studies, etc.
- Considerable travel experience and/or time living abroad
Salary commensurate with experience. Start date on or before October 16.
The Communications Manager will work under the supervision of CREST’s Executive Director and will work closely with CREST’s Managing Director.
Interested candidates should submit the following:
- Cover letter outlining reasons for interest in the position and relevant skills and qualifications
- Four (4) writing samples, demonstrating both professional and popular writing styles. Options may include: press releases, professional-style blog posts, screen shots or links to professional social media posts, academic work related to tourism and/or communications/marketing, or other substantive samples that reflect skills required for the position.
- Up to three (3) samples of any relevant creative documents, publications, videos, or other materials you have created or participated in creating. Please indicate your role in producing each.
- Three (3) references including at least one who has supervised your work. Please include name, position, organizational affiliation, contact information, and your relationship to each reference.
Please do not include a personal photo with any application materials.
Applications should be submitted to email@example.com by 11:59pm EDT on Monday, September 7, 2020. Please direct questions to CREST Managing Director, Samantha Bray, firstname.lastname@example.org.
CREST is committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion and equal employment opportunity for all without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. CREST is committed to providing applicants and employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment of any kind.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing this application, please call (202) 347-9203 ex. 415 or contact (email@example.com). “Applicant Accommodation for Communications Manager” should be included in the subject line of the email.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.