CREST Seeks New Executive Director
After more than 15 years of visionary leadership, the Center for Responsible Travel's founding Executive Director, Martha Honey, has announced her plans to retire as Executive Director in mid to late 2019. We at CREST are deeply grateful for Martha's tireless dedication to our mission to promote responsible tourism and commitment to transforming the way the world travels. View our statement to learn more about this time of transition and promise for CREST.
Martha's successor will inherit an innovative, impact-oriented organization that is poised for future success. Building on our current momentum and proven results, CREST's new Executive Director will have the opportunity to lead the organization to new levels of achievement in responsible tourism.
If you or someone you know might be interested in applying, we encourage you to view the job description and application instructions below. A leadership profile for the position can be viewed here.
Executive Director - Job Description
The Center for Responsible Travel (CREST) is seeking an experienced professional to fill the role of Executive Director. This role is to be available upon the retirement of founding Executive Director Martha Honey in mid to late 2019. This position is based in Washington, DC.
CREST is looking for an Executive Director who will be a leader with vision, charisma, authentic passion, and credibility in the field of sustainable tourism or a related field. The Board is seeking an ED with a compelling presence, strong relationship skills, and proven expertise in growing revenues.
Chief spokesperson for CREST
- Represent CREST as a foremost expert on responsible travel topics at industry, academic, and other events
- Perform interviews with media about CREST’s work and responsible travel topics
Financial: Budgetary and Fundraising
- Identify, secure, and direct CREST studies, field research, and consulting projects
- Seek out funding opportunities through foundations, international funding agencies, relevant private sector sources, NGOs, and other creative fundraising sources
- Take the lead on organizational grant writing and project proposals
- Prepare annual budget, review with accountant and board, and oversee budget on regular basis
- Pay CREST bills and ensure receipt of payments to CREST (invoices, wire transfers, PayPal, checks, etc.)
- Maintain organizational finances and records.
- Work with accountant on a regular basis to ensure accounts are up to date and liaise annually with auditor
- Direct the engagement of outside consultants to work with CREST staff on consulting assignments, and provide project management/direction
- Lead role in writing consulting reports, white papers and other CREST publications
- Collaborate with staff to conceptualize CREST events, publications, films, etc.
Staff and Administrative
- Provide direct oversight of employees, conduct annual evaluations, and manage hiring/termination of any CREST employee or independent consultant
- Maintain professional email and phone communications with clients, partners, funders, and Board members
- Maintain organizational, personnel, and administrative files for the organization.
- Hold weekly staff meetings and meet regularly with individual staff
- Participate as a non-voting member of the Board of Directors and the Board Executive Committee
- Work with Chair and/or Vice Chair to plan for and execute CREST Board of Directors’ meetings
- Work closely with Board Chair and Managing Director to plan meetings and other board related functions
The CREST Board is looking for an individual with the following characteristics:
- A passion for responsible travel and for generating positive impact around economic, social, and environmental issues
- Experience living, working, and/or traveling abroad
- Strong writing and speaking skills
- Expertise and a solid, nuanced, and big-picture understanding of tourism sustainability issues across policy, consumer, and business circles
- Oriented to an approach that is culturally sensitive, grounded in science, academically-rigorous, fact-based, and pragmatic
- A networker with connections in the tourism, international development aid agency, nonprofit, philanthropic foundation, and business communities
- A good listener and a creative thinker, open to new ideas, solutions, and innovation
- A strong empowering team builder, role model, and inclusive leader for the staff
- Possess ability to work within different cultures and environments with sensitivity and professionalism
- Possess superior communication and relationship-building skills
- Possess strong organizational and planning skills
- A leader with passion for the mission of CREST and ability to put CREST before self interests
- A compassionate person with a sense of humor, and values and beliefs that are a fit with the culture of CREST
- At least 10 years of experience and a proven track record in responsible tourism, international development, or related fields
- A mission and purpose-driven mentality focused on moving the CREST mission forward
- Outstanding credibility and connectedness in the tourism and/or international development fields
- Experience managing a highly-dynamic and wide-ranging team and project portfolio
- Understanding of and experience with professional tourism consulting and multi-disciplinary project management
- Knowledge of and experience with navigating philanthropic and foundation relationships and processes and writing foundation grant proposals
- Experience working with different cultures, both domestically and internationally
- Business acumen and experience, with experience in or a willingness to learn the intricacies of nonprofit management
- Commitment to create a culture of learning and servant leadership.
- Academic research experience and connections, or willingness to engage with this sector an asset
- Strong appreciation for the importance of strategic marketing and communications
- Undergraduate degree required. Advanced degree(s) preferred but may be offset by experience
- Excellent written and spoken English required, multi-lingual abilities (especially Spanish) an asset, given CREST’s strong focus in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Must have permission to work in the United States, and ideally have prior work experience in the U.S.
To apply or suggest a prospective candidate, please email email@example.com and attach the following by April 14, 2019. The targeted start date for the position is August 1, 2019.
- Cover letter outlining your capabilities and particular suitability for the position
- Current resume
- At least two writing samples (one journalistic and one academic)
- Name, position, and contact information for three references, plus your professional relationship with each
Salary is commensurate with candidate’s experience and salary, as well as with comparable nonprofit positions in the Washington, DC area.
CREST is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all and to providing employees with a work environment free from discrimination and harassment of any kind. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.