3rd Symposium for Innovators in Coastal Tourism
July 9 -11, 2014 | St. George's, Grenada, West Indies: This unique event brought together over 150 ‘green’ experts and practioners, including hoteliers, real estate developers, operators, investors, and others within the tourism industry committed to (or considering) new sustainable models of marine, coastal, and island tourism development and management. This highly successful event, underscored by engaged participation from Dr. E. Angus Friday, US Ambassador to the United States and Mexico, and Hon. Alexandra Otway-Noel, Grenadian Minister of Tourism, has bostered Grenada's enthusiam for a sustainable future through tourism, and action is already underway.
- Opening Ceremony
- Plenary 1: Climate Change & Coastal Tourism
- Workshop 1: Building Symbiotic Relationships between Sustainable Coastal Tourism, MPAs, and Commercial Fishing
- Workshop 2: Travelers' Philanthropy
- Plenary 2: "Grupo Puntacana: Pioneers in Sustainable Tourism"
- Workshop 3: Impacts and Innovations/Eco-Certifications in Large Beach Resort Operations
- Workshop 4: Responsible Coastal and Marine Recreation
- Workshop 5: Cruise Tourism: Impacts & Innovations
- Workshop 6: Linking Sustainable Tourism to Local Industries
- Workshop 7: Creating Sustainable Coastal Destinations
- Workshop 8: Greening Spas
- Workshop 9: Golf Courses & Marinas: Impacts & Innovations
- Workshop 10: Certification & Best Practices for Coastal & Island Tourism
- Workshop 11: Marketing & Branding Sustainable Tourism: Communicating Your Message
- Workshop 12: Community Engagement and Coastal Tourism
- Plenary 3: Green Finance for Sustainable Tourism
- Plenary 4: Films on Coastal Tourism
- Workshop 13: Boutique Beach Resorts: Innovations & Eco-Certifications
- Workshop 14: Best Practices for Beach and Shoreline Protection
- Closing Plenary
CREST would like to thank our partners - the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO), the Grenada Tourism Authority, and the Grenada Hotel and Tourism Association - for helping us organize the 3rd Symposium for Innovators in Coastal Tourism.
We'd also like to thank the thought leaders who traveled from near and far to share their expertise with Symposium participants. Speakers and participants alike are breaking the mold of cookie-cutter mass tourism and helping the tourism industry to move responsibly into the future, and we are looking forward to this knowledge transfer bearing fruit in Grenada.
See CREST Honorary Advisory Board member, Jonathan Tourtellot's, compilation of "actionable" information from the Symposium via the Destination Stewardship Center.
Finally, we'd like to thank our sponsors, who made the event possible:
- Bucuti & Tara Beach Resorts
- Grenada Hotel & Tourism Association - Compete Caribbean Project
- St. George's University
- Inter-American Foundation (IAF)
- The Nature Conservancy - Sustainable Financing and Management of Eastern Caribbean Marine Ecosystems Project
- GIZ/ICCAS Project [ICCAS is funded by the German Ministry for the Environment under its International Climate Initiative (IKI) and implemented by the Government of Grenada, the German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ) and UNDP.]
- Puntacana Resort & Club
- The Ocean Foundation
- The Travel Foundation
- True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
- Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre